Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Spring Snow, Seriously!

It's spring, but it snowed!! What an oxymoron.  It was so cold I had to pull out my coat, hat and gloves...brrrr.   The temperature is still dropping.  Tomorrow's forecast "unseasonably" cold.  Still wearing winter clothes, McCall's 5715. 
 

Pattern Description:  Semi-fitted, lined, slightly below waist jacket has yoke, collar, side pockets, bell-shaped sleeves, back pleats, button and buttonhole closure, with stitched hem.
 
Pattern Sizing: (6-8-10-12), (12-14-16-18-20).
Did it look like the pattern photo/drawing on the pattern envelope? Yes, it did.
Were the instructions easy to follow?  Yes, they were easy. 
Why did you choose this pattern?  I chose this pattern because of the pleats in the back.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?  I have no dislikes. 
Fabric used?  McCall’s recommended Gabardine, Linen Blends, Wool Crepe, Wool, Wool blends.  I used more stash fabric, a  rusty-brown Polyester Wool Blend, purchased from JoAnn Fabrics, years ago.  I lined the jacket with potting soil Silkessence fabric.
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made.  I didn't make any changes to the pattern.  I sewed View B.
Which sewing machines did you use?  I used the sewing machine for construction of the jacket and the serger on the lining.
Would you sew this again? Yes, I might sew one for the spring or summer.
Would you recommend it to others? It’s an out-of-print pattern.

Conclusion:  I’m done with sewing winter clothes!

Come on spring!

11 comments:

  1. Love your jacket! Snowed here in southwest VA, then rain, then sun, then more snow and then none! In the 20's this AM, i I am so ready for spring.and spring clothes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the same weather we're having. It's cold outside tonight and we're expecting a cold rainy Thursday. Come one SPRING!!

      Delete
  2. April, your sewing skills and design/fabric choices are over the top. I am encouraged by each of your garments that you have shared. Your style is classic and simply lovely. Great job. Did I say, "I really like your look".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane, I love buying fabric and garment sewing. The only thing I dislike is cutting fabric out!

      Delete
  3. It looks great on you. The styling is perfect; your narrow black pants really work well with the full jacket. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy. I'm pleased with the finished look!

      Delete
  4. Look on the bright side, this cold winter has motivated you to make some very nice pieces :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, but I'm so over the winter sewing. I'm sew ready for spring!!!!

      Delete
  5. Hi April, I have to agree with the others I love your style, love that jacket as well. Love your hair colour. Can I be rude and ask, is it natural or did you manage to boost it. I only ask because I want silver hair, but I'm naturally in the salt and pepper stage, which I hate, because its not one thing or the other

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Liz, It's all natural and I'm actually in the salt and pepper stage too. It just appears silver/platinum in pictures. LOL

      Delete
  6. Love! Sassy Sewing Bees https://www.facebook.com/SassySewingBees

    ReplyDelete