Thursday, April 24, 2014

I'm a Bargainista Fashionista

I entered the Pattern Review Bargainista Fashionista Contest.   I created a zebra print skirt inspired by a skirt I saw in Ann Taylor.  The original price was $98.00 on sale for $74.99.


I found the perfect fabric at JoAnn's for my Bargainista version...and it was on sale!


McCall's pattern 6711 skirt has waistband, princess seams, back hemline slit and lined. 

I spent a whopping $11.60 + tax.  The fabric was on sale for $7.79, the original price was $12.99.  I purchased 5/8 yard for $4.87.  I bought the black contrast fabric from G Street Fabrics for $2.99.  The black lining was $3.74, also from JoAnn's and on sale.  I used notions and a pattern from my stash.

I chose this pattern because it had the same design elements as my Ann Taylor inspiration.  My finished skirt looked like the pattern envelope.  The instructions were very easy to follow. 

McCall's suggested using Crepes, Sateen, Twill, Wool Blends.  I used a 58% Cotton 42% Polyester Zebra print fabric.  I'm not sure what the content of the black contrasting fabric is, it was an unlabeled remnant from G Street Fabrics. 

I used my serger and sewing machine to make this skirt and didn't make any alterations to the pattern.                                     
                                   

 Would I sew this skirt again?  Probably.  I would definitely recommend it to others.
 
I'm really pleased with my Bargainista.  I think it's a pretty good Ann Taylor look-alike. 

6 comments:

  1. As usual, you made an elegant garment, so stylish!
    You look smashing.
    And, BTW, I have the same fabric in a cotton woven and a cotton knit. Job well done, gotta love the price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank your Susan!! Great minds...what are you going to make w/your fabric?

      Delete
  2. AWESOME!! You did a great job! I want to make that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you!! Please post if you decide to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this skirt. You look very professional in your outfit.

    ReplyDelete