Sunday, January 18, 2015

It's a New Sewing Year

I didn't make any resolutions but, I did make a few new year sewlutions to keep me focused and sewing all year.  

My first sewlution is to participate in the "Bargainista Fashionisa" Contest.  The rules are to create a garment inspired by a retail fashion seen in a store, on line or in a magazine.  The garment must clearly be inspired by the original piece. My inspiration was a Marc Jacobs Sequined Leopard Miniskirt. 

Even if I wanted to purchase the Marc Jacobs skirt from Neiman Marcus, I can't because I joined the "Sew Your Own Wardrobe for a Year Challenge."  It's a commitment not to purchase Ready to Wear (RTW) clothing for a year.   This will be a challenge for me because I love to shop, hmmm.  Anyway, while perusing JoAnn Fabrics for the sequins, I stumbled upon this Python Cotton Blend fabric.  This fabric was perfect! 
 
                      
My inspiration piece has a $1,600.00 price tag,.   My fabric's price tag is $16.99 per yard, but I used a 50% off coupon.   As many zippers as I have in my stash, I didn't have one black, navy or teal... go figure.  I had to spend $1.67 with my additional 15% of coupon on the black zipper, bringing my total to less than $11.00.   
 
I used my TNT skirt pattern McCall's 3930. It's an old pattern, that I've had for years.  It's a very easy skirt pattern.   My skirt looks a lot like my inspiration except my Bargainista Fashionista skirt is about twice the length.  I think my version is a little more versatile.  What do you think?
I made it half way through the first month of the year and I haven't bought any RTW clothing.  Eleven and half months to go! 
.
                                                             
 I'm also  participating a in the Make a Garment a Month challenge (MAGAM).  January's theme is A New Sewing Adventure or Technique.  My plan is to create Simplicity 1425 using lace. 


Stop by later for the finished project.  Happy New Year! 

19 comments:

  1. I think your's is actually nicer than the Marc Jacobs! You look glamorous, his looks trashy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mainelydad, I think my inspiration is just a little too short. lol

      Delete
  2. Nice... Looks awesome on you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is better than the original - Isn't it great to be able to copy a designer skirt. Can't wait to see the lace top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is gret to be able to copy a designer skirt. Being able to sew also makes it hard to purchase RTW. I find myself checking out the finishes, the details and fabrics! I finished the top and I'll post it soon.

      Delete
  4. Well, hello, slinky thing! Care to bring your loveliness to my blog for Jungle January?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to if it's not too late. I'm headed over now. Thanks

      Delete
  5. Your skirt is really gorgeous and you saved more than $1,500! Love the look and nice to see you back! Have a happy, productive sewing year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look fantastic in that skirt! And I love the price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't beat the price. That's the great thing about sewing!

      Delete
  7. Love that you are committing to the challenge to not buy any rtw clothing this year and making everything yourself. Your choices of colors and styles are so fresh! Blanca Acosta shared your two tone blue dress on her google+ page and I love that one too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laura. The challenge will be a challenge but so far so good lol.

      Delete
  8. cute skirt, welcome to the sew your own wardrobe challenge for 2015 , the rules are slightly different this year scroll down & read the Oct31 post from Marvita where she states "For those who may be intimidated by the challenge of making everything in your wardrobe, you can choose to focus on a category or two. For example, maybe you'll commit to making all of your tops or skirts." I commited to everything last year & yes it was hard at times lol!

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'll give it some thought and re-commit lol

      Delete
  9. OK, I see you! Love this outfit and that skirt is just oh, so fabulous! Nicely done Lady! ~Michelle @ www.thatblackchic.com

    ReplyDelete