Sunday, November 29, 2015

Just Skirting Around with Simplicity and Tulle

A couple of months ago, I was in the neighborhood of JoAnn's Fabric so I stopped by.  While there, I met a fellow sew-ist, Christine Paul.  She's a great seamstress, I had a blast talking to her, but she's an enabler,  and it's her fault that I fell off my fabric diet, again.  What was I supposed to do  when she handed me her extra coupons? I couldn't let them go to waste. LOL.  

After I bought  my new fabric purchases home, I washed, dried and added them to  my stash. Yup, and months later, most of them are still sitting.  But I did use a couple of pieces below and added two pencil skirts to my wardrobe.  Both patterns were sized for stretch knits only.   The first one, a  midi-length, something a little different for me.  My original intent was to make a tribal print dress with this fabric until my son suggested a skirt.  The pattern is  Simplicity 1070 and I call it my RusSkirt.   
 
I love this knit fabric.  It's a medium weight, tribal-print  knit with a soft hand feel. I was able to cut and serge the skirt in about an hour, without any pattern alterations.  Most of the time spent on this skirt was matching the horizontal pattern.  The finished skirt looks like the picture on the envelope.   
 
 
My RusSkirt came together so fast, I was able to stitch-out skirt number two,  another version of Simplicity 1072.  This this time in in a ponte animal print.  I finished this super easy in less than an hour.  There were no patterns or prints to match.  I added my usual two inches to this pattern.  The skirt looked just like the photo on the pattern envelope.  I didn't read the instructions during the construction of the skirt. 
 
 
Here's my first version of Simplicity 1072 in a mustard yellow knit, paired with Butterick 6097- fitted, buttoned-down, peplum top.  I used a striped shirting from G-Street Fabrics. The shirt looked exactly like the drawing on the pattern envelope.  I didn't make any alterations to the pattern.  The instructions were easy to follow (I read them).  The top came together very well. 
Tulle baby shower table skirt.  Welcome Janell was born November 14th! 
 
Finished skirting around with a self drafted tulle skirt for my FDIL.  She paired it with a 70s inspired tee for our 70s theme "Jive Turkey" Thanksgiving dinner. More fabric from my JoAnn's spoils.

No comments:

Post a Comment