Monday, December 28, 2015

Red and Black Jacquared Print Dresses

McCall's 6355, a semi-fitted dress, cut to a knee length, three quarter-length sleeves, round neckline and invisible zipper.  McCall's suggests Cotton, Cotton Blends, Crepe de Chine, Challis, Jersey and Cotton Knits.  I crafted my dress in a soft ponte knit from G-Street Fabrics.  I added an invisible zipper in the side and my normal two inches to the length.  This dress is ideal for both day and evening, even though the pattern envelope features more casual coordinates.   

     
 
As soon as I finished this dress, I was ready to start on my next project, but while I sat in my sewing room surrounded by crates of fabric and boxes of patterns I had no idea what I wanted to make.  Have you ever had one of those moments? 
 
I went through my patterns and fabrics, measured, pondered then I just sat there.   As much stuff as I have in my room,  I felt like I needed to make a fabric store run.  But I didn't, instead I called my sister from another mother, LaToria  (LaToria so creative).  She told me she was working on McCall's 6886, a pattern she had in her stash and slept on it.  I thought that sounded familiar, but I wasn't certain so I looked it up and the first picture that came up was Lucy's (my love affair with sewing)  Dolce & Gabbana inspired dress, which I fell in love with!  I got excited because I had the pattern  and the perfect fabric for a copycat version of Lucy's D&G dress.  My original plan was to make a blazer with the fabric, but this was definitely a great alternative.  Here's my copycat version and I must say, the third times' a charm. 


 
 
I constructed this dress with a sweater-knit fabric from JoAnn's and contrast black knit stash fabric. 
 
Previous versions of McCall's 6886
                         
 
If I decide to make this one again, I think I'll use a solid fabric. 
 
Happy Holidays!



 

3 comments: